A trip to Tawang Valley is every traveler’s dream. A quiet and picturesque town at an altitude of 3500 meters, Tawang is located in a remote corner of Arunachal Pradesh. Surrounded by snow-capped mountains, snowflake-covered conifers, dense forests, valleys, crystal-clear rivers and frozen lakes, it is a perfect summer retreat for mountain lovers.
The Tawang Valley is bounded by Tibet to the north, Bhutan to the southwest and the Sela mountain range to the east. Popularly known as ‘Mon-Yul’, Tawang has traditionally been inhabited by the Monpa tribe who are still the majority in the region – one of the reasons it boasts a rich history and culture.
Best time to visit Tawang Valley
The best time to visit Tawang is before the onset of summer or monsoon. In fact, planning a trip between March and October is perfect to enjoy the beautiful landscape and wonderful weather.
Summer in Tawang
Summer months in Tawang are April, May and June. So, a trip to Tawang in April or May
It will give you an opportunity to fully enjoy the breathtaking beauty of this place. The daytime temperature is around 26°C and the weather is perfect for a trip to this beautiful valley. Summer is really the best time to visit Tawang as the city comes alive in different colors with lush greenery all around.
Monsoon in Tawang
Tawang Valley receives heavy rainfall in the months of July, August and September. There is a high risk of landslides and this season may not be suitable for a trip to Tawang city. On the other hand, Monsoon in Tawang is an exciting experience as you can see the whole valley covered with dark clouds and the valley looks beautiful and fresh.
Winter in Tawang
The winter months in Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh are October to March, with November to March being the coldest. December and January experience heavy snowfall, but if you’re lucky and the weather is clear, you get a spectacular view of the majestic Himalayan mountain ranges. If you are planning a trip to Tawang in November, stock up on enough winter wear to enjoy the winter in Tawang and stay safe!
How to reach Tawang Valley
- By Air: Salonibari Airport (in Tezpur) is located at a distance of 387 km and the popular Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (in Guwahati) is the nearest airport from Tawang Valley at a distance of 480 km. Since October 2014, the Government of India has started twice weekly helicopter services between Guwahati and Tawang that tourists can use.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Rangpara Railway Station (in Tezpur), 383 km from Tawang. Tourists can take a bus/taxi from here to go to Tawang town.
- By Road: There are numerous cabs and buses to Tawang from Tezpur (319kms), Udalguri (390kms), Bhalukpong (262kms) and other places. Tourists can reach the city by taking any government or private vehicle.
1. Tawang War Memorial – Salute to Indian Martyrs
As the name suggests, this memorial was built to commemorate all the martyrs who lost their lives fighting the enemy during the Sino-Indian War of 1962. It has a magnificently constructed stupa with the names of all the soldiers who died bravely during the war. The stupas and artefacts preserved from the war will surely delight you and are one of the most important places to visit in Tawang.
- Distance from Tawang Valley: 1 km
- Things to do at Tawang War Memorial: Take the opportunity to salute the martyrdom of the brave soldiers who lost their lives in the 1962 war saving India. Take a closer look at the artefacts preserved from the battle to understand the magnitude of the war.
- Tawang War Memorial Timings: 7:45 AM to 6:00 PM
- Entry Fee: None
2. Panga Teng Tso Tso Lake – A picture-perfect lake
Surrounded by mighty snow-capped mountains and brilliant rhododendrons, Panga Teng Tso Lake or Pt Tso Lake is a visual treat for every traveler. In summer, the lake sparkles with crystal blue water and in winter it remains completely frozen.
- Distance from Tawang : 17 km
- Things to do at Panga Teng Tso Lake: Unleash your photography skills and capture the immense beauty of this pristine lake for postcard-worthy pictures of the site. This is one of the fun things to do while visiting this lake!
- How to reach Panga Teng Tso Lake?
- By Road: As it is located 13 km from Tawang, you can hire a cab from Tawang to visit this beautiful lake.
3. Bumla Pass – India-China border representative
Located at an altitude of 5000 meters above sea level, Bam La Pass represents the India-China border guarded by Indian Army troops amidst difficult terrain and severe weather conditions. This pass was used by the Dalai Lama to enter Indian territory, which is also one of the reasons for which it is famous. Horrible road conditions and extreme weather conditions make it difficult to reach this pass. But once you reach here, you cannot ignore the overwhelming sense of patriotism that you will feel seeing the surroundings and the soldiers guarding the area.
- Distance from Tawang: 20.6kms
- Things to do in Bam La Pass: Visit the route through which the Dalai Lama entered India to seek asylum. Also, visit Sangestar Tso Lake, known for its natural beauty and clear water. Click enough pictures to appreciate your visit to this tough terrain.
- How to reach Bam La Pass?
- By Road: Hire an SUV with an experienced driver as the road to this pass is very rugged and difficult. Most importantly, obtain a permit from the Deputy Commissioner’s office in Tawang district and the Indian Army camp in Tawang.
4. Jaswant Garh – Remembering the intrepid rifleman
Located 25 km from Tawang, Jaswant Garh is another war memorial with a scenic backdrop built to commemorate the soldiers who died in the 1962 war. It is named after the brave rifleman Jaswant Singh Rawat who single-handedly held off the Chinese army for 72 hours and suffered a bullet wound in the battle. He was awarded the Mahavir Chakra posthumously.
- Distance from Tawang : 25 km
- Things to do at Tawang War Memorial: Take time to learn about and pay tribute to the brave Rifleman Jaswant Singh Rawat, who lost his life defending his country from the Chinese army.
- Tawang War Memorial Timings: 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM
- Entry Fee: None
5. Nuranang Falls – Spectacular Falls
It is one of the most famous places to visit in Tawang trip. The spectacular Nuranang or Bong Bong Falls is a sight to behold falling from a height of 100 meters. This waterfall is located 2 km from Jung city, due to which it is also called as Jung Falls. A small hydel plant near the base of the falls is used to generate electricity.
- Distance from Tawang : 30 km
- Things to do at Nuranang Falls: Admire the beauty of the milky white water and roaring roar of the mighty falls and enjoy the beautiful landscape around it. Visit the hydel plant near the falls.
- How to reach Nuranang Falls?
- By Air: Pre-book a helicopter ticket from Guwahati to Tawang and then hire a cab from Tawang to Bomdila to visit this waterfall.
- By Road: Hire a cab from Tawang to Bomdila and visit the falls on the way. Alternatively, APSRTC buses or private buses plying in different cities are also an option.
6. Nagula Lake – Beauty at its best
A small deserted lake, Nagula Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in Tawang. The crystal clear waters that reflect the snow capped mountains and the beautiful surroundings give the beholder pure joy. Stay for a while and you may even see Brahmin ducks around the lake. The scenic beauty of the lake makes you forget the fatigue of traversing the treacherous roads to reach this place.
- Things to do in Nagula Lake: Relax in the blissful beauty of the surroundings and click pictures of the beautiful Brahman ducks present near the lake.
- How to reach Nagula Lake?
- By Road: Hire a local cab with an experienced driver to visit this lake as the roads are extremely difficult to drive.
7. Shonga-Tser Lake – Madhuri Dixit’s biggest fan!
Shonga-Tser Lake or also known as Madhuri Lake is one of the tourist attractions in Tawang. The lake got the name Madhuri since Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit visited this lake for a film shoot. Located 42 km from Tawang, this beautiful lake was formed as a result of an earthquake in 1971, filled with clear water and surrounded by snow-capped mountains.
- Distance from Tawang : 42 km
- Things to do in Shonga-tser: Get out of your car, take your camera and capture the breathtaking beauty of the lake. Shonga-tser is surrounded by many small lakes and you can also visit them
- How to reach Shonga-Tser?
- By Road : Hire a local cab with an experienced driver to visit this lake and other nearby sites.
8. Geshila Peak – Soak in the mesmerizing views
Geshila Peak is a quiet and spectacular peak located 25 km from Krimu and is the closest peak to Tawang. The stunning beauty of this peak is something that a tourist can experience very few times in his lifetime. It is also one of the reasons why Geshila Peak is a very popular attraction in Tawang.
- Distance from Tawang: 43.6kms
- Things to do in Geshila Peak: Enjoy the serene and serene view of this peak and capture its immense beauty with a high-end camera!
- How to reach Geshila Peak?
- By Road: Hire a cab from Tawang to Geshila Peak as it is the best mode to reach this resplendent peak.
9. Thingbu Hot Spring – A relaxing and refreshing dip in the water
Thingbu is a natural hot spring in a small village called Thingbu, which is three hours away from Tawang and is present on the Tawang-Jung road. It is one of the must-visit places in Tawang and is easily accessible by road. The hot spring water is rich in sulfur and is believed to cure many skin ailments.
- Things to do in Thingbu Hot Spring: Take a dip in this hot spring and feel the refreshing sulfur water against your skin. Heal any skin ailments with this natural spring with medicinal properties.
- How to reach Thingbu Hot Spring?
- By Road: Thingbu is 3 hours from Tawang and 1 hour from Jung. Hire a local cab with an experienced driver to enjoy the journey to this location.
10. Gorichen Peak – The highest peak of Arunachal
Standing at an altitude of 6858m, Gorichen Peak is the highest peak in Arunachal Pradesh and is located in Tawang. It is the most difficult to climb and is often approached by passionate mountaineers who want to summit this peak. You can catch a glimpse of this peak on a clear day when you are traveling from Bomdila to Tawang. Gorichen Peak is one of the top tourist attractions in Tawang and is also considered sacred by the Monpa tribe who believe that this peak protects them from all kinds of harm.
- Distance from Tawang : 56 km
- Things to do in Gorichen Peak: Trekking and camping are two of the most common activities when visiting this majestic peak in Tawang. You can also visit the mighty Nuranang Falls located just a few kilometers from this place.
- How to reach Gorichen Peak?
- By Road: The best option to visit this stunning peak is to hire a local cab with an experienced driver from Tawang.